background

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Time to Eat!

First of all, isn't this a sweet picture? This is prolly the way it looks around the table at most houses with the patriarch carving the turkey while the rest of the family looks on lovingly.

Not at our house. Picture all those National Geographic specials you've ever seen of tigers attacking their prey and then the feeding frenzy that follows that! That's how Thanksgiving goes at our house! And I can't wait!!!

So, I just have to share a story from 10 years ago today for 2 reasons. One, it's a miracle I can remember anything from 10 years ago when I can barely remember why I walk into most rooms in my house. Two, it's just darn cute and I'm very - what's a good word to use here - emotional lately about how my babies aren't babies any longer so I like to remember when they were!

10 years ago today, Josh was about 2 1/2 years old and Roman was 2 months old. I had to get to Hobby Lobby for some un-remembered treasure and it was raining. A lot. Everyone else in Norman had to be at that store at the same time and there wasn't a parking space to be found. Of course, knowing Jesus cares about me wanting to keep my babies dry as I wrestle a baby carrier and little boy into the store, I was silently praying for a spot. When a car backed out of the space right in front of the door, I said "Thank you, Jesus" outloud. Josh perked up from his carseat in the back, full of wonder, and said "Jesus was in that car?"

I thought that was the funniest thing and it has stuck with me all these years.

I know now would be a good time to talk about all the things I'm thankful for - family, friends, health, yada, yada, yada. But, if you know me, you know that I live a blessed life and I'm always willing to give up the gratitude for those things.

So, today, I want to be a little more practical in my thanksgiving.

Here goes: I am thankful for Skintimates shaving gel that makes shaving all my shaveable body parts, including toes, so much easier. I am thankful for the Chi product that I put on my hair before I straighten it because the smell makes me really happy. I am thankful that our indoor pet is a cat and that cats automatically know how to use a litter box. I am thankful that Sara Lee makes a pumpkin pie better than I could ever make. And, finally, I am thankful that the Coca Cola company saw the need for a soda that offeres no calories and created Diet Coke, thus changing my life.

After all, it's the little things in life, right?

B

4 comments:

StephieAnne said...

I'm lovin' your blog girl! Diet Coke, hooray, hooray, hooray!!! - (and, doesn't it just give you warm fuzzies all over to see those holiday 12 packs with the silver snowflakes?)

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Ohh - that is awesome! Did you tell you son that Jesus was in fact in that car? When my niece was about 4 we were watching a show about the human heart and she asked me where Jesus was in the heart we were looking at on TV. In her mind he would live in one of the ventricles or something.

Happy Thanksgiving - good luck getting some turkey... :-)

Growin' With It said...

so first...i am thankful you didn't post a picture of your "National Geographic" family, because in most of those i've seen...with the natives...hmm, beverly with a hoop in her ear the size of an orange, bone in her nose and we'll just not go near the lack of clothing!

thank you jesus...i laughed out loud so hard it scared me! my mom always used to say that and now so do i. but this is THE funniest i've heard!!!

lastly, being practical is one thing i love about you. hmm, have you sent that 'stag my way yet? ;o)

happy thanksgiving bev. sure miss ya!

Mary Morrow said...

Happy Thanksgiving Day!!!