background

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Junior High

First...........I just filled up the 'stang with gas for $23.88!! It was $1.81 per gallon!!! WOO HOO!!! Yippeeeeee!! As much of a fixation that Linda R. has with her sitemeter, I have that with the price of gas. Every single day, I notice what the price is and if it is up or down from the day before. Get a life, right?

So, since everyone blames the President when gas is high, I just want to say "Thank you President George W. Bush for my $1.81/gallon gas!" and "Can you possibly get it down to a buck before you leave office???" *wink*

Junior high. Do those words just bring fear to your heart and make your pulse race? Do you immediately flash back to your own jh years? I'm a "yes" to both questions.

There's going to be a dance Friday night at our jr. high. Of course, I jumped up and down with my hand in the air when the call went out for parents to sell tickets during lunch and chaperone. I am SO in, pick me, pick me!

I went to sell tickets yesterday. It was so fabulous/crazy/gut-wrenching/funny/sweet/nauseating! I just want to say "hang in there" to all those pimply, gangly, braces-wearing kids who, within the next 3 years, will be beautiful people.

So this is the *jist* of what I saw:
-lots of skinny jeans
-Coach boots - who gets Coach boots in jr. high?
-chips and sour straws for lunch
-a girl I've known since she was in kindergarten holding hands with a boy I didn't know
-Josh trying not to make eye contact with me and then deciding he needed money
-all Josh's friends coming to talk to me
-lots of straightened hair
-cliques

I was glad the mom I was working with had the same issues with her 8th grade son! He cut his eyes and gave her the low wave and chin nod just like Josh gave me!

When I went to jr. high, I threw up every day for the first two weeks. But what little I do remember wasn't TOO bad after that. What do I remember the most? Playing the flute, being 1st chair all the time and going to competitions. Playing half-court basketball and winning Regionals. My coach's name Sue Martin (because that was my middle and maiden name.) Peter Williams, Bobby Shanahan and Kenny Boyett - the school hunks - all a year older and the reason for my throwing up. A gray-haired math teacher who could only hear in one ear and whose face I can remember so vividly but not her name because she gave me pretend swats for talking in her class. Finding Jesus the summer after 7th grade.

I think when I go back on Friday to sell tickets again, I'll try not to shake my head sadly and give them encouraging looks. Most of them are having the time of their lives. They are catepillars on their way to being butterflies!

And to answer the burning question I know you all have: Of course, Josh doesn't want us to chaperone and being the kind, loving parents we are, we're DOING IT ANYWAY!!! bwahaha

B

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

whoo hoo - that sounds like a blast! Can I come?

My dad was my junior high principal so you can imagine the h*ll I went though every. single. day.

I'll never forget the day he saw me in the hall during lunch break and held up his banana like a phone and pretended to call me. I was MORTIFIED!!!

I can't wait to do that to my daighter. And just for fun I might do it to my nieces and nephews as well so they know how much I love them.

SoonerAggieMom said...

Wha??? you were 1st chair flute? I was 1st chair clarinet! We could play a duet.

Of course you went to sell tickets. I'd be pretty disappointed if you didn't. We'll expect a report Sat. morning after the dance!

RamblinRealtor said...

Taylor has 2 pairs of Coach shoes.
I wore them the other day, quite comfy....and we actually danced at our dances...crazy I know!

Growin' With It said...

hey, whatchyoutalkinbout...i like my sitemeter. it lets me go insane trying to figure out who "mountain view, california" is these days! ;o)

i busted up on josh trying not to acknowledge mom. til he needed money. oh i feel that moment coming on soon around here.

and 1.81...no fair. absolutely NO FAIR. we just had a conversation w/ D yesterday on how we remember it being .99 when we first lived in okc. must be the midwest. they like you better out there!

better be seeing some pics of that dance, ya hear!