background

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Change

Change has really been on my mind lately. Obviously, the political change in our country has been a biggie. But, I'm waaaaay over that one! We've had lots of change in our family in the last 6 months. We've changed churches, schools, cars, soccer coaches, and living arrangements for some of our family members, just to name a few.

And then there were the Christmas lists that my kids gave me. All of a sudden, in one year's time, I can go to Best Buy, buy out the electronics department and be done with my Christmas shopping in one stop!! This is a toughie for me. I love to give gifts. It's my love language. I love to shop for the perfect thing and then I have a hard time waiting to give it to the person! On Thursday, I wandered around Toys R Us - which used to be the MECCA of my holiday shopping - and only managed to find one thing to buy...for a stocking stuffer! This is one change that might just do me in!


So, of course, in my adhd state while looking at video game systems, I started to think about all the changes I've seen in my lifetime. (Sounding old here, right?) First...aahhhhhh...the Atari. The father of all game systems. We got ours for Christmas - not sure when - but my brother and I loved it.

Guess who loved it more? My mom!! I think she played Pac Man all day while we were at school. My dad even built her a table with slots and attached the controller to it because her wrist was starting to hurt from holding the joystick! I'm sure Atari was the beginning of all the carpel tunnel problems of our day!

What about the progression of LP's to 8 tracks to cassettes to CD's to iPods?? That's been a crazy ride! I still have some cassettes but I don't think I have a player anymore!

Some others: VHS tapes to DVD's to DVR. Bell bottom jeans to pegged-leg jeans to wide leg to skinny jeans. Cell phones the size of a purse to now the size of a credit card. Big hair from a spiral perm to slick, straight flat-ironed hair. (I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want big permed hair to come back. I will be all over that one!)

My friends have changed. My home has changed. My job has changed. I know I can't stop change. One of my favorite quotes is "Without change, there would be no butterflies."

But there is one thing that doesn't change. Hebrews 13:6 says "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever." For that, I am truly thankful.

So, I know I've left many things off this list of changes I've seen. Do you have some to share with me?

I'm off to see Twilight! I'm a big fan of the books - I hope my boyfriend Edward is as great on the big screen as he is on the pages!

B.

3 comments:

SoonerAggieMom said...

Oh yea, bring back the big hair. I just figured out to make my hair look good and big when it went out of style.

You know most of my changes so I won't list them. I recently changed from hazelnut creamer to plain old vanilla...does that count?

I also changed kids this summer. Jordan came back a different kid from church camp. I like this one a lot more than the other one too!

Anonymous said...

I'm having a hard time seeing the clothes I wore in high school and college on my nieces. Leggings? Shoulder pads? Maybe big hair is next...

Growin' With It said...

atari? what's that. bwhaha...just kiddin'. trying to make you feel old ya know. hmm, and aren't you turning older soon too?

great post beverly. i love how you reminded us of one great thing that never changes. and that's also something that will not change between us....being sista's!!!