background

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Cell Phones

Josh has a cell phone. I know. I know. I was always the one to say he would not have a phone until he started to drive........that I would NEVER get my 7th grader a phone.......that is just crazy......what does a 12-year-old need with a phone?

Let me tell ya. It all started back in August. On the day before school started to be exact.

Everytime Josh would "dramatically" point out that another of his friends had gotten a phone and now eeeeveryoooone had one except him - we would say "Oh good! One more friend whose phone you can borrow if you ever need to make a call!!" (Yes, we do think we are hysterically funny parents.)

Back to August. Football practice was in full swing and they were practicing until at least 5:30 every day. So that day, I pull up at 5:30 to pick Josh up and he was sitting in the parking lot all by himself. (Well, there were 2 other boys but that did not matter one bit to this mama!) No coach to be found. I am shocked. Appalled. Flabbergasted. They left my baby in the parking lot. This would never happen at soccer practice! Don't they realize how cute he is and how much he would sell for on the black market??? I was completely freaked out.

So, the very next morning, I was at the AT&T store when it opened and bought a new phone. I added a new line for Josh and gave him my old phone. (At least I didn't give in to giving him a new i-phone or anything.) Then I drove that phone up to the school, got him out of class and gave it to him. He was so excited - that part was really fun.

That phone fell apart within a month - imagine that - and now he has a nicer phone than I have. But it was free. Maybe when he gets a new one, he'll give it to me!

The best thing about that phone, besides being able to talk to him whenever I want, is that it is a great motivator. Our parenting motto when it comes to disciplining our children has always been "Hit 'em where it hurts." (not literally. Please don't call DHS!) And losing his phone is where it hurts! He was grounded yesterday from his phone. I'm not sure how he survived.

So, do you remember your first mobile phone? I guess mine would be the car phone I had in my Tracker in 1994. It was installed in the car - connected by a cord. I couldn't take it out and it would cut off the call if I turned the car off!! It was the size of my current house phone. My friend had a bag phone that he would carry into the movies - remember those??


Where would we be without our phones? At least Roman hasn't asked for one.

Yet.

B.

5 comments:

RamblinRealtor said...

AAhhhhh the cell phone. My dear Taylor got one for making it thru 6th grade and moving on to the scary Jr.High. Did I mention she dropped it in the tub of water while shaving her legs within 40 days of owning it? Doesn't everybody text while shaving their legs?? And OH YES--you will be AMAZED what those kiddos will do if you mention the words,"gimme ur phone"--whaaa...??The look of fear that overcomes them is well priceless...many a dish has been done at our house after those words were spoke........

Anonymous said...

I remember my first one - it was huge! And made my purse really heavy. And it would randomly call people depending on what bumped against it in my purse.

My daughter isn't old enough to know that her Disney princess cell phone doesn't actually take pictures or text her friends. I'm good with that for now.

SoonerAggieMom said...

You will not believe what first born son did with his first cell phone. He was carrying it upstairs with backpack in one hand, a glass of DP in the other, with the phone...I can't even describe it but the phone went IN the glass! He had it about 5 minutes! grrrrrr

My first phone was a giant motorola flip phone. It weighed about 10 pounds and there was no slipping it into my pocket.

Yep, the phone can be used for ransom.

Growin' With It said...

so that's who you get all your cool textin' codes from! btw, darryl & andrew play with our old cellies and it seems to have worked...for now! ;o)

O Fam said...

So funny, we actually got hannah a cell phone here, but it is only for occasional use. Most of the time it stays at our house.

My first cell phone wasn't until we were married....I was so excited!!