background

Monday, December 1, 2008

Drive Thru Difference

Each year, we try to involve our children in something to take the focus off of them and their dreams of getting everything on their Christmas list. We try to be creative and make it something that's appropriate for each child. But, it always involves money that we have saved to spend on them that they now spend on someone else. Like Roman once spent money buying books - because she loves books- for the Children's Hospital to give out to their patients. Josh bought toys for the foster children of some of our friends one time. They get to choose but it's always knowing they are giving up something for themselves to do this for someone else. I would like to say they {heart} giving up gifts for themselves - but that's not entirely true. But, once they get going, they really enjoy it.

This year, we heard about something that a local radio station is doing and we're going to participate. Go to www.thehousefm.com and you can read about the Drive Thru Difference. If you choose to pay for the food of the person behind you in line at a drive thru, you can give the cashier a letter to give to them once they get to the window. It doesn't say "I did this because I love Jesus" or "Now you're required to come to my church." It just says, at the end, "I hope this encourages you today."

It has the number for the station so that person can call and share his/her story of being the object of a RAK if they want to. We're excited to start hearing some of those stories! I'm a firm believer in what the Bible says about "they will know us by our love for one another." People want to be accepted and loved without having to change how they look or smell or speak. We just want to be a drop in the bucket that might start a ripple effect this time of year.

I know some of you bloggy peeps will have great ideas to share about how you bless others this time of year. I can't wait to read about them. I'm always open to new ideas to spread the love, babeeeee!

Singing Christmas carols at the top of my lungs,

B.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a brilliant idea. I'm going to try it at Starbucks tomorrow morning.

StephieAnne said...

That is very convicting, Bev, regarding challenging the kids to contribute and make their own sacrifices. Tomorrow we purchase the Giving Tree gifts we've picked out and think, because of your post, John and I will talk to them tonight about putting in their own money for that to happen.

Your mantle is GORGEOUS!!!! You are the woman! I posted our trees today, but based on your mantle, "they're not worthy!".

P.S. - I saw in the paper that a long shot scenario might match up your Oklahoma State with our Ducks in a bowl game - wouldn't that be a hoot!

Growin' With It said...

look at this. 2 blogger buddies i know are now your friends. i'm getting kinda of selfish you know. as much as i want my friend beverly to be known by the world, well...i'm still selfish! ☺ i read about this post on both their blogs already. and as i did, i said to myself...yep that's my sweet, giving, wonderful, beautiful, hilarious, awesome friend that •i•miss•so•very•much! great idea beverly!