background

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Post #2 aka Skinny Jeans

So, Josh-the-amazing-12-year-old (to be known in the future as JTA) is growing and growing and growing right now. Inches at a time. I should also mention that he is also eating everything in sight.
His first words to me when he gets in the car after school are "I'm starving." And, when he gets up in the morning, "I'm starving." And, really, every minute of the day, "I'm starving."

Bottom-less pit.

He frequently needs new jeans because they just get too short. He's tall and lean.

And, he's getting an opinion about what he wants to wear. For 12 fabulous years, I've been able to shop for him and lay his clothes out and he was happy.

Not so much anymore. Now he has to go with me to shop. And he wants to wear skinny jeans.

And, I don't like them. Because they are just...well...too skinny. We are wide-legged people.

I remember in the 7th grade when Levis 501's were getting popular and we would "peg" the legs. My parents didn't like it one bit! The funny thing is my dad could remember when he used to do it. In fact, the backs of his legs were hairless because of how tight his jeans were on his calves.

This is just the strangest thing for me in my parenting journey. Josh is our first child to find a "style" that isn't exactly like ours! I know those jeans are everywhere these days. But, we aren't stylish people - we let others break in fashions for a loooooonnngggggg time before we jump on board. In fact, I still have some straight-leg jeans hanging in my closet. They're not in the skinny family - maybe just a distant cousin - but they are there waiting for me to return to them.

There's just something about those jeans that represent independence, autonomy, and freedom, I think. They do something to the mind. I bet it was those jeans that made him want to go to the movies with a.............gasp...............girl. Yep, it was the skinny jeans. I'm sure of it.

Tomorrow - back to wide-leg, distressed, carpenter-style, stone/acid/river wash, loose fit jeans from the Gap.

JTA - you're killin' me! But you really are amazing.

B.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How does he get those feet through the jeans?

Seriously. Does not compute.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Beverly - would you mind emailing me when you have a minute? I want to send the recipe for the chocolate pie to you.

Also, wanted to tell you that my grandmother just sent me an email with this:

"The minister here in (their retirement community) wrote in his weekly address the following:

"I had a neat experience today 12/8 - I had a craving for a coffee after leaving my morning physical therapy so I stopped by Starbucks on my way to work. I got to the window to pay for my drink when the lady at the window told me my drink was already paid for by the person ahead of me. What makes this story even better was the fact that she told me I was the seventh customer to receive this gift because people were continuing to pay for the person behind them. I was the last car so I received the gift without being able to pass it along."

She lives in Colorado about 60 miles north of Denver - the Drive Thru Difference is kickin' here... :-)