background

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Just Jeans



Have you noticed how casual everyone seems to dress these days?


People that I am quite sure have never set foot on a track are seen every day in a jogging suit. (And by people, I mean me.)


Jeans used to be for farmers. Now they put a little bling on the pockets and a little stitching on the hip and you can wear those puppies to the prom!


This is not a rant. No way. No how. I am all about casual dress. I can't seem to buy a shirt if it doesn't have a hood on it and today, I finally got out of my flip flops only because it was so cold. Of course, I put on my favorite pair of New Balance sneakers!!


I have said that being an RN was the death of my fashion sense. Working in scrubs is the equivalent of working in pajamas. I haven't tucked anything in since before I was pregnant with Joshua. And when my friend, Mindi, said she couldn't go to a church that her kids couldn't wear their jeans and flip flops to - I immediately made that my own motto! Eventually, the dresses and skirts in my closet will be long-forgotten.


Oh yeah. The point of this post.............I have to go to a "THING" tomorrow night for my hubby's firm. A social, get-to-know-you thing for all the audit partners of the new and improved firm. Wives are included. I happen to be a wife.


Dress is casual. Oh, thank goodness! Right up my alley. Where's that hooded sweater and my faux-Ugg boots?? Richard is too sweet to say it, but it's really not that casual. Rats. Jeans are fine but all of mine are frayed at the bottoms.


So, I went shopping for jeans today.


I know I could stop right there because I heard the collective "poor thing" uttered by all of you from around the country and I can feel you shaking your head in sympathy. I know you understand.


I went into the dressing room with 6 pairs of jeans. 4 pair in my size and 2 in the size I wish I was. Some in petite sizes cuz I learned a long time ago that my stomach should be attached to a person 4 inches taller than me so my jeans are always a little too long. All different "washes" of denim. All different back pocket styles. (Sidebar: the back pocket is always the deal breaker for me. They have to make my behind look good, KWIM??) All with different percentages of spandex/stretch in them. Ugh. I hate stretchy jeans. But I wear them or else I would be cut in half.


After a lifetime of trying them on and looking from every angle, I chose the ones in the picture above. They are a dark denim and I've heard it said on "What Not To Wear" or Oprah that they can be a little dressier. But I really got them because of the promise on the tag. If you make the picture larger it says "Close Fit Slims Your Curves."

I hope those babies go right up to my neck cuz I've got a lot of curves!

B

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you wearing boots with them?

Jean shopping is painful. I went to a store a while back that had devised a new numbering system for jeans that was supposed to fit your body type rather than your size. What a crock!!

Glad you found something! Hope it is a fabu time tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

By they way, your word verfiication is always interesting. Like just now it had me type in "comett" and the other day it was "forgvns" and now it is asking me for "retring".

How do you get your WVs to make sense like that? It's like a great game of license plate tag...

SoonerAggieMom said...

Jean shopping has to be one of life's most awful chores. I'm so glad you found some...picture please.

Have fun at your special outing too.

lol, wv on this one is sindmo as in send more???

Growin' With It said...

cultic...hmm, should i be scared by my wv?

beverly girl, this post was a hoot. and i probably speak for women all across this country that your words were sounding so very familiar.

my biggest problem is the only "good" pair of jeans i have in my closet are the kind where if i bend over you can see my grannies. not to keep harping on that lovely subject, but my husband noticed it and hates the grannies btw.

okay, so now i'm demanding a photo of you "all casual" with your man for the party! pleeeeease! cuz you're cute.