background

Saturday, January 31, 2009

OMEA All State Children's Chorus

I'm not much of a choir girl. (sorry, Laura!) At least I didn't think so. Maybe it's just been so long since I've heard a choir sing, I forgot that I really do like it. And, after hearing this group of 125 children sing, I remembered how great it can be!

I'm quite sure that I cannot describe how powerful their concert was. Dr. Sandra Snow came from Michigan State U. and worked these kids super hard for a day and a half and it paid off! They sang a song in French, Latin and a "spiritual" that made me feel like I was back in the slave days!

The composer of one of the songs was actually at the conference. When the kids finished singing her song, they gave her a huge cheer and ovation. It was really moving.

And, I do have to say the Lord answered a very specific prayer I had before we left. (besides the one I said over and over "please don't let me slide off the road.") :) I prayed for a friend for Roman. She went into this not knowing anyone and I knew it would be so much more fun if she connected with someone. And, she did! There were several girls she buddied up with, but she really hit it off with Ivy. (pictured on the left. Savanna is on the right.) They swam together and stuck together during lunch and breaks. Ivy is from a teeny town up close to Woodward. Who knows if they will see each other anytime soon, but they've already chatted on the phone!

So, what did I do all day in the hotel while Roman was in rehearsals, you ask? I couldn't leave really because they had breaks after every hour or so of rehearsing. I brought books, magazines and some movies. In Austin, my friend Penny hooked my portable dvd player up to the tv in her room and some of the boys watched a movie. Brilliant. I was going to do the same except I couldn't figure it out so I watched 3 movies on the 7 inch screen of the dvd player!!! I'm sure I'll need a visit to Dr. Chad the Optometrist very soon!

I finally got to see Mama Mia. It was OK. I'm still completely baffled that someone could take Abba songs and create an entire musical out of them!!! It was definitely a stretch. Pierce Brosnin (sp?) cannot sing. Christine Baranski is always hysterical. Prolly won't watch it again.

Have you ever seen any Tyler Perry movies? The Cutest Boy on the Block and I absolutely {love} his movies. I watched "The Family That Preys" - which was good but the ones with Madea in them are hysterically funny. "Diary of a Mad Black Woman" is our favorite.

And, there you go. As always, I want to be here for you - even for movie reviews.

I'm off for the rest of our already busy day. Roman played a soccer game at 7:30 AM this morning. Um, yeah...the Cutest Dad on the Block got to cover that one. She was guest-playing for another team so I didn't feel the need to rush out of bed for that. She had auditions for Beauty and the Beast after that and now she has an outdoor soccer practice in a little while. The weather is beautiful here today - supposed to get to 70 degrees!! So my cute toes might get to visit with their long-lost flip flop friends today.

Finally.

B.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I started laughing whenever Pierce B. started singing in Mamam Mia. Whoever cast him should have been fired!

StephieAnne said...

Oh, hooray for 70 degrees? Was that just this week you had all the ice? Nutty! So cool about your daughter's experience in choir - it sounds pretty ideal. What a cool mom you are!

RamblinRealtor said...

OMEA?? We were there too!! Brady made the OMEA All-State Band/Orchestra. We were there on Saturday! Small world...

Growin' With It said...

oh roman, you warm my heart. you are a true, sweet friend...just like your mama mia!