background

Friday, January 2, 2009

I Don't Need No Stinkin' Resolutions


I have a huge confession to make: I DO NOT eat black-eyed peas on New Year's Day.

Not even so much as one little pea eaten in pill form (ya know, swallowed whole with a lot of water.) Not even a sniff of a pea. Really no vegetables at all unless you count the tomatos in the Rotel Cheese Dip!!

And, let me tell ya - it hasn't hurt me so far!! *wink*

I grew up eating those disgustingly gross peas every year on the first day of the year. Why would anyone think those things are going to help you for 365 days? I decided a long time ago that whatever food we eat on New Year's Day would be our lucky food. Yesterday, we had lucky grilled hamburgers, lucky baked beans (very similar to the disgusting pea but way better) and lucky left-over cheese dip. Yummo. Nobody gagged or complained so I think we are good to go!

And, I don't make resolutions. "Resolutions are for quitters" said the always funny sign at the liquor store on 4th street. (Post highjack: This store always has the funniest things on its sign. Sometimes a little on the naughty/inappropriate side, but almost always good for a laugh. I could do a whole post on that sign. {This is not an endorsement for the liquor store. Really. Now back to your regularly scheduled post.})

Anyhoo...sometimes I'm not good at sticking to things. It's been a problem for me for a while now. For example, it's why I quit working. I don't like to be tied to a schedule. I like to do things when I want to do them and if I don't want to do it, I don't want to have to tell someone I don't want to do it? Ya follow? And, when you work, employers like for you to do that work regularly - sometimes everyday!! Another example, children and meals. They like to eat on a regular basis. Aye yi yi! Talk about being tied to a schedule!! Naw...I'm just kidding about that one. Don't call DHS - I do feed my children. (Somedays it's "whatever you can find" with a vitamin on the side. I think that covers the nutrition part!!! haha)

So there will be no resolutions for me again this year. But, I am adding a little something to my plate. Life Church put out a guide to read the Bible through this year and I'm going to do it. Actually, we're going to do it as a family. I'm perfectly willing to admit that there may be days when I have to catch up for all the days I've missed, but I'm still gonna do it in 2009!

Ahhh...2009. This is going to be a great year. Even without the black-eyed peas!

B.

4 comments:

StephieAnne said...

Black-eyed peas? Must be a regional thing cuz I've never heard of that! GROSS! I think your menu plan sound much more appetizing....

Totally agree with you on the work and "being tied down" thing - #1 reason I have no desire to return to the career path. (and yes, "Children, it's a cereal night - get it yourself" it's not an uncommon occurrence in this household!).

SoonerAggieMom said...

We ate the black-eyed peas in 2002 and D. got transferred down here so no more peas for us. Actually, I think it might have been the Prayer of Jabez, expand our territory that did it.

I'm trying to memorize a verse every two weeks. I'd really hate to fail at that.

Bailey said...

My kids had to eat the peas. Really. HaHaHa!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I ate some of those BEPs. My brother made a salsa out of them. It was tolerable...

:-)