background

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Remind Me


I think these letters are so funny! Prolly because that's how I see my fave 1st grade character, Junie B. Jones, talking to God. And that's really how I just want to talk to God. Just plain and simple - laid out there like I would talk to y'all.


One letter that I didn't post asked God "Did they really talk all fancy like that in the Bible times?" That brought to mind something that has always amazed me: how words and language and speaking styles have changed so much over the course of this earth's life and how it continues to change still. Remember when "ebonics" was a hot topic of debate? And now, the most popular language seems to be texting lingo! Slang is everywhere in our daily language but I don't really see it anywhere in my NKJV!


This really hit home to me a few weeks ago. That fabulous pastor of LC, Craig Groeschel (sp?), had done a series some time back called "30 Days to Live" and they re-played one of the messages.

(post highjack: you can go to lifechurch.tv and listen to his sermons. i know linda has done this and really enjoyed it. he's so relevant and easy to listen to. highjack over.)

Anyway...have you ever read a passage of scripture probably many times but then have it come to life when you read it in another translation?? This is what happened for me with Psalm 39:4-5. I have read the Psalms many times. I have a Macarthur study bible that is as much commentary as scripture - which is exactly what this chick needs sometimes to be able to understand a lick of what I'm reading! KWIM? I do enjoy the NKJV when I'm reading.

In Craig's message that day, he had video of a guy that was in the end stages of ALS (Lou Gherig's Disease). This guy knew his time on earth was coming to an end and it was gut-wrenching. Craig referenced that passage from Psalm. He used the NLT version - which is way different than mine - and here's how it reads:

"LORD, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered, and that my life is fleeing away. My life is no longer than the width of my hand. An entire lifetime is just a moment to you; human existence is but a breath."

Maybe David had just turned 41, like me, and was realizing, like me, that life is short and we shouldn't take it for granted. I mean, he used the handbreadth as a measurement which was the smallest popular measuring unit of ancient times. Would that be like us using centimeter? That is such a short time in the grand scheme of things!

So, I've been praying that: "Lord, remind me, Beverly, how brief my time on earth will be." I don't want to waste a minute! My goal this year is to make a real difference in someone's life this year - hopefully more than one someone! That David had a lot going on when he was asking for that reminder. It's time to step up!

About that reading the Bible this year and already being behind. Confession: I'm skimming my chapters in Genesis because how many times have I started from the beginning only to get through Genesis!! I've read that book a *few* times! (rolling my eyes)

Tomorrow I'll do better.

Really.

B.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great reminder to live every day with a focus on God.

Are you reading straight through the Bible or are you reading a little of the OT and a little of the NT each day?

Growin' With It said...

if that's the same video i'm thinking about, he does a sermon later that focuses on the body of Christ and how the lifegroup he was in took care of him. very moving and for me lately, very motivating!

i laughed at the thought about how we do talk to God...all fancy shmancy and so chillin' with our friends. such a hurdle to knock down in how our relationship can really be with Him.

great "meat" this morning beverly. loved it!