background

Sunday, July 6, 2008

What a Day!

OK. This post is all out o' whack! Still can't figure out how to get pictures EXACTLY where I want them and in the order that I want them. But, hey, I can just roll with it. My friend, Linda, had a little 4th Of July fun over at her blog, Gotta Grow With It, and encouraged everyone to post a memory, food, craft, tradition, etc, about Independence Day. She is such a part of my favorite recent memories of this holiday that I just had to play - even a week late. These scrapbook pages are from 2004. When we built our house (that we moved out of last July *sad face*) we figured out that sitting in our backyard was the best seat for our town's huge fireworks show. We had a few friends over to watch in 2002 and, after we put in a pool, that blossomed into a few more friends that soon became an annual event. It was some serious fun with lots of crazy kids running around with punks and sparklers. (I would like to note at this time that we never had to make a trip to the ER.) Our neighbor a few houses down came over with a water balloon launcher. He had one at his house and we used the other to have a little "war." And, then we turned them on the unsuspecting (and un-participating!) other neighbors. Fabulous! I hope the new owners of that house enjoyed this weekend the way that yard was meant to be enjoyed!
So, here's a big ((hug)) to all my friends who celebrated July 4th at Falls Creek, in Oregon and all over this big ol' world. I thought of you all! Now for my big TA DAH of the day:

MMMMMMMM!! Muffins. Homemade blueberry muffins. Homemade by me - not Betty or Duncan!

Confession time: I have never, ever, ever, ever made muffins from scratch. I'm not sure I've ever had a real blueberry until a few weeks ago. Not so very impressed with blueberries. I want to be. I want to eat them by the handfuls knowing that they are full of lots of good-for-you things. But these muffins were to die for! That's actually what they are called - "To Die For Blueberry Muffins." You can find the recipe at allrecipes.com if you want to give them a try.

This whole cooking-without-emptying-it-out-of-a-box started at the beginning of the summer when I decided Josh and Roman would cook something every week. I was thinking they would cook a meal that we usually eat but they lugged out a Rachael Ray cookbook for kids. Roman fixed Quesadilla Pizzas and Josh cooked Thai Rice Bowls. Wowzers! Roman's next dish was a dessert cup with lots of fresh fruit and Josh is making a cheesecake (his fave) this week. Roman's dessert is why we had fresh blueberries in the fridge. Hence...the muffins. I felt quite "domestic" as I started my day this morning! HA!


Today was a toughie for me. Visiting/searching/hopping churches is starting to wear me slick. I knew the minute my feet hit the floor this morning that it was going to be a struggle. I was sad and wishing we were heading to EHC, to the 4th row on the west side of the auditorium to sit next to the Eastwoods and behind the Cleghorns.

Then, reality set in. Blech.

But, we had already decided to re-visit Journey Church because when we were there before, they had a guest speaker so we wanted to hear their Pastor. (Wouldn't you know the Pastor was gone on vacay today???!!) God was incredibly gracious and present for me in that service today. Among many things, He reminded me to let him do his work and that my job is to just love his people. Irrational love is what the speaker called it. Unconventional, uncommon and uncomfortable love. AND, as much as I'm in a hurry to get settled in a new church home - well, He is still working that out. He is God, I am not. Can I get an "AMEN SISTAH" on that?
Trying to be still,
Beverly
AKA Sistah Hurry Up


















































2 comments:

Growin' with it said...

*sniff*...i miss my blonde hair....how's that for superficial? of course, i miss Y-O-U most of all and i love hearing your heart in that last part. hang in there girl!
and oh...AMEN SISTA! i'm right there with ya on that one.

btw...curtis came in this morning laughing hysterically about someone's "tooth losing" comment on my last post...i had such a joy telling him who that funniest girl in the world is!

SoonerAggieMom said...

Looks like your first comment will be from me, the professional church hunter. I KNOW how hard it is and if I still lived there, I might be in your shoes too. But I don't and can only tell you to hang in there. God has a special place for you. "Better is one day in his courts than thousands elsewhere" If only his courts had our names written on the front door or a pew...

The muffins looked smashing dahlin.