background

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

So Not a Seamstress

First of all - WHAT HAPPENED TO MY CUTE BLOG LAYOUT???? I sign on and find a plain, non-cute background. This will have to wait until later for a complete and thorough investigation!

Roman recently read "Sign of the Beaver" in literature. In the story, the boy gets left alone (for a long time, I guess!) and has to make himself some new pants out of his sheets. So, Roman has an assignment to do the same.

Many moons ago, Roman sweetly said to me "Will you teach me how to sew?" to which I replied, "Have you met me????" because I don't sew.

I hot glue. I safety pin. I tape.

Yes, this goes for buttons, rips, etc. If it cannot be fixed with the above, I throw away.

So this was a project that struck a little bit of fear into my heart. The directions seemed pretty simple: Lay a pair of your own pants on the sheet/material. Cut generously around them and sew with a simple stitch - the name of which completely escapes me right now. Then cut some slits around the waist and thread rope through them to hold them up.

Sounds good so far, right? I can do this.

Except I obviously cannot.

We went to Hancocks and got this cute material because all of our sheets are of the non-cute variety. Roman really did most of the work. We followed the directions and she sewed for at least an hour doing some stitch that I think I might have invented. It was going well. Until she tried to put them on. And they would not go over her hips.

That's when I saw the little "tip" at the bottom of the page that said to "make sure you cut straight up instead of following the lines of your own pants." I guess that would have prevented the non-fitting issue she had.

These are the pants. Aren't they cute? She even has green frog slippers she was going to wear with them.
This is a picture of the hole that quickly appeared because of - I can only guess here - a lack of sewing knowledge. And the picture below is what the seam looked like once we turned them right side out. Yes, amazingly enough, I did know to sew with the right sides together!!!

Roman was such a good sport about it. Her class had a fashion show and she just tied her pants to her front and modeled them that way. And - good news! She wasn't the only one whose pants didn't fit for the same reason!! Yay!!

Note to self: Next time there's sewing involved, take Tonya up on her offer to call in her MIL to do the sewing!!!

B.

4 comments:

StephieAnne said...

I'm tellin' ya - we could be sisters!

Brayden just got done reading SIGN OF THE BEAVER - thank goodness it didn't involve sewing!

My memories of my sewing usually involved some sort of "choice word" - as the sewing machine almost always messed things up. I've kind of imprinted that in my mind which has kept me from ever pursuing that hobby!

What a good sport Roman was - they sure looked cute to me!

Growin' With It said...

if it were me? i woulda wrapped the sheets around me and called it good! ☺

SoonerAggieMom said...

I am never amazed at how alike we are. You left out staple.

I have seen those cute homemade blankets. My sil made a couple for her girls. She told me how easy it is. You just cut strips and tie them together. My eyes glazed over. I have no clue what she meant. I don't think there's even any SEWING involved in it.

It's a good thing we're cute.

Anonymous said...

There is no sewing at our house either. I grew up with a mom who sewed all of my clothes and it left me with horrible scars I have not yet recovered from. :-)

Thanks for your comments on my blog - I have just been really busy and blogging has fallen off my plate. I KNOW - very bad. I am doing PR for the hybrid car company and it is going very well with calls from a lot of major newspapers and even the Discovery channel, so that, on top of my royal family (oh and my paying job!) is keeping me busy.

Thanks for checking in, my friend!! I really appreciate it!

--Bonnie