background

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Would Jesus Wear a Rolex?

I am not a thinker. Or a ponderer. I don't reflect or do any soul-searching. I'm pretty sure I cannot meditate. I blame all of this on my adult-onset A.D.D. (self-diagnosed, of course, but I'm sure some Ritalin would be very helpful!)

The pastor at the church we attended today referenced this song by Ray Stevens. You can google the lyrics but it basically asks would Jesus be like the television preachers of today - asking for money while wearing $10,000 on his arm, a star on his dressing room door, etc. It's a funny song - I grew up listening to Ray Stevens with my Dad. (Oh, yes, they call her the streak...Ethel, get your clothes on!!!) That one's a classic.

My view of my own Christianity has changed so much over the last year. I really just want to be about Jesus. About my relationship with Him. Not about religion. Not about traditions. Not about committees or programs. I want to be different like Jesus was different. (Personally - I don't think he would wear a Rolex.) This made me think about how I can be different from the world and offer something that would make others want what I have. Whoa - that was wordy.

How will others know that I love Jesus? The Bible says, paraphrased, "they will know by the love you have for one another." Oh. This changes everything for me. When I became a Christian in 7th grade, I somehow started a list of ways to know if someone is a Christian. It goes something like this:

You will know them..................because they don't drink alcoholic beverages...............because they don't smoke...............because they don't cuss.................because they go to church every Sunday morning, Sunday evening and choir practice on Wednesday night..............because they are members of FCA...............because they wear shirts that say "I'm with Jesus"..............and on and on.

Sadly, I have carried a much-longer list than this in my heart all these years. All this really gave me was ammunition to judge others' spirituality. And, in the famous words of Bro. Randy, it's STINKIN' THINKIN'!!

I'm done with that. I want to live the life Jesus calls me to. And when I do that, others will see. I'll be able to have a voice in their life because I have just loved them. With all their warts and boogers. Beyond anything that I am capable of by myself. Unconventional love that can only come from selling out to Jesus. Because He certainly loves me with all my warts and boogs. For that, I am SO thankful.

Maybe I can sleep now!

3 comments:

Growin' With It said...

beverly...i sure love you!

O Fam said...

Good thoughts Bev! Def one of the reasons we are here and not there. Thanks for sharing what is going on in your heart.

SoonerAggieMom said...

You are absolutely right and guess who pointed out those exact ideas to me this weekend? Son #1.

Stinkin thinkin lol, I'd forgotten that.