background

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Birthday Tradition


It's happened. I tried to stop it. I've used all my mom super powers without success. I've begged. I've pleaded. I've offered bribes of Webkinz. Nothing worked. My baby is 10 years old today.
Yeppers - that's double digits.
Ten years ago today I was in the hospital with a pit drip going into my IV after a 6 am induction. I remember the nurse telling me "I'm just sure this labor isn't going to be as long" referring to my all nighter with Josh. I'm sure my response was something like "Whatever - just turn up the epidural med and get me some more ice chips!" JK. I was a good patient.
Seriously, it was not a difficult labor or delivery. She was born at 1:14 in the afternoon and she was perfect in every way and as far as I'm concerned, she still is.
Before I "mush" up about her anymore, I have to share the two things I remember the most about that day. (besides the obvious that I got to take a little girl home to a house full of boys!) First, as soon as she was out of the oven, I was instantly starving. Somebody gave me a box of Ritz Bitz PB crackers and I chowed down. I remember the nurse saying "I don't know if that's such a good idea....." at about the same time that those crackers made their re-appearance in the kidney-bean pan!!! And, I remember my friends Katrina and Tammy being there and being dressed almost identically even though they had never even met!! Chambray/denim shirts (remember how popular they were back then???) and khaki pants!! Some things just stay with you!
About this picture.........we have a tradition at our house. Birthdays are a big deal to me. We celebrate every birthday in some big way. Since most birthdays don't fall on the day of the party and it's usually on a school day, we have a donut cake for breakfast - and always with a candle to blow out and the fam singing at the top of their lungs!
Ya know what I like best about this picture?? Roman's bed head! That's what she gets for growing up - pictures out on the world wide web of her "just woke up" hair! bwahahahaha I'll save this one for the slide show at church for Senior Sunday. That's if I can't find the super power to keep her from growing up even more!
Happy Birthday, Rom!
Love, Mom

2 comments:

SoonerAggieMom said...

She's 10? No way! I remember being at soccer practice and hearing she was here!

What a great idea to have a donut cake.

She's such a beauty...even with the bedhead!

Growin' With It said...

my birthday's next month and i'm thinking i wanna come visit JUST so i can wake up to a DONUT BIRTHDAY CAKE??? brilliant. who gives a rip about the other cake that day.

and 10? funny, my boy's only still 5!!!

big hugs to you both.