background

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Septic bursitis, staycation and the 20-year-old

Well, if that title doesn't demand your attention...

It certainly has demanded mine for the last week or so. Do you know what a "staycation" is? Here's the Beverly-not-quite-Webster-dictionary definition: Time is short, gas is high, soccer and football have started, it's too hot to cook so let's do some things close to home and call it a vacation. So that's what we did last weekend.

We had grand plans to hop the train, the Heartland Flyer, down to Ft. Worth, spend the night and then ride it home on Sunday. There are some way cool things to do in Ft. Worth but they are all outside and it was in the mid-100's this weekend. To know me is to know that I am H*O*T. (not that kind of hot!!) (except to my husband!) I am hot-natured so I go out of my way to make sure that I don't have to be out in the heat. And, there were some other things that came up to keep us in town, also. Roman was really excited about the train so to avoid her disappointment I said "What if we buy you a new Webkinz?" Problem solved. What train???

So we swam, shopped, ate out and went to the movies - Journey to the Center of the Earth in 3D!! Wowzers! Talk about way cool! It was a fun weekend. Did I mention that we ate out? No cooking for this mom.

Then, Sunday evening, Richard gets up from a little nap in the cheetah chair and his elbow is swollen and painful. My first question is "What did you pick that's gotten infected?" (sidebar - he's a picker. Sad but true. Can't leave anything foreign on his bod alone.) He crosses his heart, promises no picking occurred. Yeah, right. I'm a little skeptical. Monday morning he gets up (long before I get up!) and it is way more swollen, red, warm and way more painful. He calls me when he's on his way to the clinic so I know there's really something going on. (Getting him to the dr. is near impossible.) He has bursitis and it's probably infected. He has to see an orthopedist to get it drained, possibly have the bursa removed and be on antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory medicine. He went to bed at 7pm last night because he was feeling so awful. Now I know it is really bad!

So, say some prayers for him. I hate it when he doesn't feel well. Makes me sad and then, thankful that we are so healthy.

Now, on to the 20-year-old AKA Brandon. LOL. I will spare you the week's worth of details and the hit to our bank account by just saying Brandon has moved back home. Oh yes, he still has an apartment that he is paying rent for, but he is living at home. What is that emotion I'm feeling??? I mean what are those hundreds of emotions I am feeling?? I can say that Josh is beside himself with pure J.O.Y. His big brother is the best thing since the soccer ball was invented and he is glad to have him living on his bottom bunk.

We love that boy. He's a great kid. He's back home.

Stay tuned.

Beverly

2 comments:

SoonerAggieMom said...

Ouch, poor Richard. I have a hilarious picture of David Chil. giving him a kiss at Falls Creek. Seems Richard was injured there also. I don't have a scanner, or I'd post it here.

An $8.00 webkinz = train trip? You have her fooled pretty well.

And Brandon moving home. Well, if he wants to be there, that speaks volumes!

love ya!

Growin' With It said...

po po richard...bursaWHAT? you nurse you, had to look that one up! love on that poor fella! and that staycation...brilliant idea. especially since we're broke. and brandon...hug that boy for me! ;o)