background

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Bittersweet


Both little kids are back in school as of today. (I use the word "little" lightly these days!) My sweet, baby girl went off to her new school today. She was nervous. I was nervous. But, when I picked her up - in the car line that took forevah - the first thing she said was "I LOVED IT!" whew - finally, I could wipe away the nervous sweat that always forms on my neck.
And look how cute she is in her uniform. I can't wait until she gets to wear the cardigan sweater. Here's a funny random thought I had about her uniforms: the uniform tops can be only in certain colors - blue, maize and white. She looks so good in all those colors!! Random, I know.
We both recited the verse from Joshua today "Be strong and courageous." It worked! Yea, God!
And, I always like to start the year off with a little something for the teacher. So, from Bev's Crafty Corner comes this post-it note holder. This is made from two coasters (the kind you get at Chili's. ya know, they leave like a bazillion on the table. i have made SO many things from them.) This is the front.

And, this is the back. It has a quote by William Butler Yeats: "Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." From what Roman said, I think Mrs. Hansel will definitely be an inspiring kind of teacher. Roman's Mrs. Hansel quote of the day "No hair sniffing." I guess you had to be there!


This picture is a side view showing how the whole thing stands. It seems like sticky notes are a must-have for teachers. I know when I subbed, I used a ton.
So, what did I do once I dropped my girl off at school you ask???? I drove straight to Starbuck's for a tall, skinny peppermint white mocha. Yum. Then I went to Kohl's and shopped there for 2 hours. I don't go to Kohl's very often - I'm not a fan. But, today I looked at everything in the store - some of it twice! I bought the greatest pair of shoes. (and a *few* other things! I hope Richard doesn't read today!!)
Tomorrow is our first home school day. Here comes the nervous sweat again! Be strong and courageous. Be strong and courageous. Be strong and courageous.
Let the fun begin!
Bev

4 comments:

O Fam said...

Oh...Hannah and I think Roman looks soooo cute in her uniform. Glad it went well. Hannah started school today too. We will have to set up a skype date for the weekend to see how school went for everyone!!

Growin' With It said...

so what sorta present does the home school teacher get? i'm thinking you need to go back to khol's for that! your sweet girl looks beautiful...even in a uniform, which is cutie patootie btw!

congrats and hope today goes just as fabulous for you both.

SoonerAggieMom said...

I agree with L...you need to get the home school teacher a gift. Maybe some cool new stamps?

WTG on that little shopping trip.

(Richard reads this? D. doesn't have a clue)

marla wingfield said...

Roman, you rock!! Love the large roller back pack. Bev, maybe we can go together to get that home school teacher gift. Did I hear the word "Canton"?