background

Monday, June 30, 2008

This post is dedicated to my fab friends from EHC who have shared the concrete of the parking lot on blazin' hot evenings with my family during Freedom Celebration and have since moved on from here. You know who you are!

The fireworks show took FOREVAH tonight. So while my adult ADD was kicking into high gear, I thought to whip out my camera and use the video function - which only my children have used until now - to record some of the show. I knew I needed to blog about tonight because I was missing some of my peeps that used to share this with me every year. Plus - Roman happened to be in the bathroom (translated...port o' potty) during the finale which is the best part of the show. Now she can see it, too!

And, let me just say that there has never been a nicer evening for the Freedom Celebration than tonight. The weather was cool with only a hint of a breeze. (I mean the flag did not even ripple when they raised it up the pole! So very odd for Oklahoma.) I did not have to fan myself once or even whine about how hot I was. It was seriously precious.

I have many, many memories of all my years at this celebration. My friend, Katrina, and I ALWAYS reminisce about the first year we went together. We only went for the fireworks and watched it from the west side of the building - which is the side where they shoot the fireworks. Shrapnel fell down on us the whole time! Ah............good times, good times.

Last year, I got to drive a golf cart.

It had my name on it.

That, my friend, was power. I drove and I drove and I drove. Even when there were no more passengers to shuttle in, I drove. Even when Keith C. told me it was time to "bring it in", I drove. There's something about that plastic windshield and the openness of it all. It took all I had not to hi-jack sweet Shelly J's cart tonight and ride off into the sunset!

I do love this holiday coming up. I so often take every freedom I have for granted. But, today, I am most thankful for the sweet freedom I have in my heavenly Father - that I can rest in His arms and His grace.

Now, that's something to celebrate!

Beverly

2 comments:

Growin' with it said...

i don't know if i wanna cry more at the sight of that sweet church or the fireworks or missing that whole event or knowing you were behind the camera or sweating like a pig in that heat or trying to find my kids in the inflatables or standing in line forever for a lame old hot dog so i could support the youth or that song they always play during the show that we can hear peeps joining along at the end of your video or oh my goodness....that's it...missing out sitting in your yard getting the best show in moore!

dang i miss you guys!

SoonerAggieMom said...

Well, well, well, you did it again...made me tear up reading your blog. Such good memories. Between you and the other gals, I'm going to quit putting on my makeup until after I get on here.

BTW, the yada, yada, of the lyrics: And I take what I find, I don't want no more; It's just outside of your front door. :)