background

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Family Bible studies

No photo today cuz I think it might not be legal to take a picture of a book and post it on your blog. Since I'm so new at this, I don't want the blog police after me. Yikes!

Richard and I are doing a Bible study with the little kids. Richard has the hard one - a purity study with Josh. He's doing Preparing Your Son for Every Man's Battle. I don't envy him one bit and am glad there's only one girl in this family and I'm praying for the rapture before I have to do that study with her! That makes me think of a funny story.

When I was preggo with Josh, we thought it would be a great time to have the "talk" with Patrick and Brandon. We could relate everything to the wonderful life created by two people within God's design of marriage...you see where I'm going? Brandon was the first - out of the blue - to bring up a question about where babies come from, so I got ready. He said, "So the stork flies over and drops the baby down your throat and then you throw it up when it's ready to come out?" To which I - being the coward that I am - said, "That's exactly right. Who wants cookies?"

Anyway.......Roman and I are doing The Christian Girl's Guide to Being Your Best. Way easier than the boys. The verse yesterday was Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.

A few months ago, we (Richard and I) started praying about leaving the only church we've ever known as a married couple - the only church our children have ever known, as well. We eventually knew that God was calling us out of our comfort zone - to not be wrapped up in the church, but to be wrapped up in Him. So, that verse has become our pillar as we stepped out in obedience. It's been one of the most difficult things we've ever done, but very exciting, also. This is definitely stretching all of us since we've never had to do anything like it before.

We've come to call every Sunday "The Adventure." We've gone to three different churches so far. I thought about writing a review after each visit - kind of like a restaurant review - but thought that could get a little dicey! I will definitely let you know when God puts us in the right spot. (I hope it's soon!)

Roman and I are off to watch Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the old Gene Wilder version.) I know every word to every song. Love, love, love that movie and love that Roman likes it just as much!

Tune in tomorrow - Richard and Josh are at a Boston and Styx concert. Aye yi yi!

Beverly
Thinking of my dad today who passed away 8 years ago today. Does it ever really get easier?

3 comments:

O Fam said...

Love!Love!Love! your thoughts. Thinking of you today as you remember...

Growin' with it said...

all right...where do i start? the book for josh...gonna mention that to the hubster.

your dad. i know what you mean. i hope you feel some comfort from your Father today. it's not easy huh?

the baby issue...i would think that if you told the boys the TRUE story when you were prego, they probably would have looked at your pregnancy/birth VERY differently! funny one.

and the church...proud of you. (surprised to hear that?) church family is soooo hard to leave. but there is incredible comfort that we are all on the same journey maybe just different paths. i do hope you find a church home that you peacefully feel like its a perfect fit soon. sometimes you just gotta follow the spirit even if it means leaving things you love behind...ahem like moving back to the west coast *ache, tear, sigh*

love ya!

SoonerAggieMom said...

My daddy's gone too...I share in your sadness (and yes, it does get a little easier as the years pass).

I'll be praying for ya'll as you search for a new church home. We struggled finding one down here and even attended one for two years before realizing we weren't supposed to be there. I agree about writing a review about churches. If they could just be how I want them to be.....

And I really laughed reading about talking to Brandon. Do you think he still thinks that?

Thanks for the blog comments.

~~hugs