background

Monday, March 1, 2010

My Fabulous Father-In-Law

What a weekend! My FIL (aka Bob, Bobby, Pop or Papa) worked his last day with Frito Lay on Saturday. He was with that company for 34 years!! That's a stinkin' long time. And, during those 34 stinkin' long years, he only called in sick T.W.I.C.E., twice! That's amazing. (Keep in mind that I used to call in twice a month and I only worked 4 days a month making that reason #328 for me to quit my job and never work again!)

Seriously, that fact left a huge impression on me and gave me a little glimpse into why my husband has such an amazing work ethic. His siblings are that way, too.

Retirement = party, party, party!

Saturday, Frito Lay got together a little surprise for Bob. They actually made him work on his last day........SURPRISE!! Now that's a thoughtful gift. (insert sarcasm here) It did get better! They picked us (Nana and his children) up in a limo and took us to his store. Walmart.

Post Highjack: Now this could be a post in itself. Just picture it..........a beautiful white limo pulling up to...of all places...Walmart. I kept my sunglasses on in case someone mistook me for a rockstar or a rockstar's housekeeper or something. A girl selling girl scout cookies outside said "Seriously...a limousine...to Walmart?" Needless to say, we didn't drop any Washingtons for her cookies.

Anyway, they snuck us back to the breakroom (I've never been in the back rooms of a super center!!) where there were a ton of people that have worked with and loved Bob for many years. There was cake and gifts and hugs - and so many words of edification for my FIL. This quiet, easy-going man has impacted many lives along the way.

Then they took us to lunch at Charleston's where we ate ourselves into a diabetic coma! Then the limo took us home.




This is all of us leaving Walmart in our sweet ride after the party on our way to lunch. And, a pic of both in-laws. Aren't they cute?





Sunday, as if one heart-attack-inducing surprise party wasn't enough, we threw him another for friends and family.

Cutest Boy got up to say a few words about his dad, and I almost lost it completely! He acknowledged what a stinker he had been as a kid - along with his big bro, Jerry - but thanked him for his tough love and for all the grace he gave him along the way. Watching a child honor his parent like that is amazing. I ♥ the CBOTB so much for that.

I do have to admit, part of my emotion was realizing I would never get to do that for my own dad. Every day, I wish I could tell him and the whole world how he influenced the person I am today.


These are all the grandbabies - ages 5 to 23!! Vickie, SIL extraordinaire, and I have recruited him to the carpool! Well, he's going to need SOMETHING to do, right?





And, here's a photo of all of Jane and Bob's children and grandchildren. (And one DIL - Moi!)

I am so blessed to be a part of this family. And, I'm so proud of my FIL and thankful that he gets to be an influence in the lives of my children.

**big happy sigh**

Peace, love and parties,

B

1 comment:

SoonerAggieMom said...

Congrats FIL! 34 years with the same company is an amazing accomplishment!

(gotta love those backroom parties at WM)