background

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Before and...


...Well, it's going to be awhile til the after pics are ready!

But, look what Cutest Boy did for me! He tilled my garden spot.

Today, I bought onions and cabbage to plant. I wanted to get potatoes planted but I cannot find the right kind of potatoes - the kind with "eyes"on them. And, I'm in a little bit of a farming pickle...today's St. Patrick's Day and you're supposed to have your potatoes in the ground by TODAY! (That's according to my mom who says it comes from the Farmer's Almanac.)

And she believes in the Almanac. She lived and breathed by the Almanac when I was young. It not only determined planting but harvesting, fishing, raising chickens and most of the milestones of my life, I'm sure. I grew up in a home where the Almanac was more present than a Bible.

I'm not going to garden by the Almanac myself. I'll do it the way I've done most things in my life...by the seat of my pants and on a wing and a prayer!

We had a garden before at the 18th street house and it went something like this: We bought cute gardening gloves. We planted and planted and checked the garden every day for new growth. We talked to the new plants and told them to be strong and grow tall. We about burst with pride and excitement when we got a tomato or a cucumber. Then...the weeds came. They were followed by the extreme Oklahoma sun and heat. An insect or two lived in the plants surprising the farmer in her cute hat and gardening gloves. We couldn't eat another squash and besides they were growing to 10 pounds since we only checked it every few weeks now IF there happened to be a cloudy day. Finally, Cutest Boy just tilled it all up.

But, not this year! I'm older. I'm a southerner. I'm supposed to garden. I will share my bounty with my neighbors and friends and they will praise my gardening skills. I will see it through - all the way to the fall!

Or not! **wink**

But for now, these guys are my new best friends!
We will be spending hours together...working the soil, tending the garden. Can't wait to pull my first tomato off the vine!

Peace, love and garden-grown peppers,

B

1 comment:

SoonerAggieMom said...

Oh my word! I have got to come here more often!! A real veggie garden? IMPRESSIVE!!! I've talked about doing that since we moved here. We would fence in the area behind the garage so you know who couldn't help herself to the plants and use the water hose on the side of the house. That's about as far as the plan goes. I want to see many pics of the gardening. Speaking of which, I planted new bird of paradise plants and one is about to bloom! Will post it on FB just for you! And I wonder if you still have your nails? I will think of you everytime I go get mine did now. And yep, the youtube video is hilarious! I might just have to go watch it again.

What color you like????