background

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Two weeks post-op

So...it's been two weeks ago tomorrow since the big surgery.

Things I've learned:

     Percocet is a miracle drug.
     My husband is amazing. (but I already knew that)
     Having someone bring  you dinner every night is a blessing I cannot measure.
     I use my arms for everything and it's very difficult when you can't use them.
     There's only so much tv a girl can watch.
     I'm the most blessed person on the earth.

Besides that, I'm really doing well. Much better than I ever expected to be doing.

Last Thursday, Dr. Shadid took the drains out and said I could just take Tylenol.  I did fine with that once I could add in Ibuprofen.  I've only been taking Ibuprofen the last few days and today I'm trying to not take anything at all.

It's difficult not to "over do it" just like I'm sure it's difficult for all women/moms who have any kind of surgery.  I'm not used to sitting around for 5 minutes let alone 2 weeks but I'm determined to be a good patient.  :) 

My pathology report came back good:  no cancer in my lymph nodes.  There was a clean 1 cm border between the tumor and my chest wall so no radiation. Yay!

But the most interesting fact from path...there was already early cancer forming in my right toe!!  It was in 3 out of 4 quadrants that they tested!!  I really believe that was the Lord's way of confirming that I made the right decision to go with a bilat mastectomy!  In a year to two years, I would have been right back in this position if we hadn't done that procedure.  Wow!!

I don't have the results of the genetic test yet but meet with the oncologist next Tuesday where I should get them.  According to her initial timeline, I will be starting chemo in about 3 weeks...not so excited about that but ready to get on with it. 

One thing that I haven't expected is how much discomfort I'm having with the tissue expanders.  I can't describe it as pain so much as a constant, nagging discomfort of having something foreign and too big rammed up under your skin.  I can't get comfortable in bed so sleep hasn't been the best but I'm determined to not sleep on the recliner anymore.  I'm not looking forward to having them for the next few months but am grateful if that's the least of my complaints.

Oh...Dr. Boggs was able to place the port during surgery.  That means that because of Dr. Theobald's involvement, I got three procedures in one that day.  Again, I'm so grateful for her!

My needs right now: 

Continued healing of my incisions.
Relief from the tissue expanders.  Dr. Shadid is going to put more saline in next week at my appointment.  ugh.
Patience until I can get back to everyday life.

Thank you to all my friends and family for your constant prayer over me and my family.  I'm forever grateful!



 

No comments: